202-955-4LAW (4529) DC
301-333-4LAW (4529) MD
703-548-4LAW (4529) VA
Free Consultation
To see our main site, please visit CohenAndCohen.net.

Steps To Take If Your Ex Won’t Pay Alimony

Experienced Attorney

Very few things are as frustrating as an ex who won’t pay alimony. You depend on the alimony to pay your bills and feel stressed that you’re not getting it on schedule. The good news is that court takes the payment of alimony very seriously. Those who fail to pay alimony may find themselves in financial and legal trouble.

Here are the steps to take if your ex won’t pay alimony:

Gather Proof of Non-Payment

The first thing you need to do is gather evidence that your ex hasn’t been making alimony payments. If your ex usually pays be money order or check, pull records from your bank account that show that the alimony payments haven’t been deposited in your account. 

Ask the Court for an Alimony Support Order

The next step is to go get help from the court. If your ex hasn’t been paying spousal support, the court can hold him or her in contempt. If the judge declares that your ex is contempt, he or she will most likely order your ex to pay the overdue support and an additional fine. If your ex continues to disobey the order, the judge may put him or her in jail.

Request an Income Withholding Order

If you’re having trouble getting alimony payments from your ex, you can also ask the judge to issue an incoming withholding order. This order requires your ex’s employer to deduct a certain amount of money from your ex’s paychecks. This way, you will be guaranteed payments as long as your ex remains employed. However, if your ex is self-employed, it may be more difficult to get an incoming withholding order.

Garnish Wages

A garnishment of your ex’s wages involves garnishing money out of his or her bank account. However, you can only request this garnishment for future payments, not past due payments. 

Request a Lien on Property

If your ex doesn’t have any money available to garnish but does have real property, you can request for the court to put a lien on that property. This means that the property can’t be sold until your alimony is paid.

Ask the Court to Put Your Ex in Jail

If all other methods of obtaining alimony have paid, you can request for the court to put your spouse in jail. The court may keep your ex there until he or she agrees to pay alimony.

Consulting With a Family Lawyer

If you’re having difficulty receiving alimony from your ex, talk to a family attorney. They know how frustrating it can be to not receive spousal support and want to offer legal help. Your lawyer will thoroughly review your case and advise you the best way to proceed.

Copyright @ 2024. All Rights Reserved.